Translate

Friday, October 31, 2014

Co-worker Harassment how to help stop it

Years have passed like the now flowing lava in Hawaii.As a young man I found myself in the construction industry and many times other men were very cruel in behavior and deed. We had a few women working with us, very few, like three. We harassed those ladies, we all did the cat call. The hey babe and occasional slap on the butt. How those women felt I never knew. I entered the medical world after falling nearly two stories in my youth. I bounced better than and recovered quickly but I needed a change. As a caregiver, I could see folks at home or in the hospital even nursing homes. I enjoyed the work, all though it was tough. I made less than the construction field but I felt as if I were giving more to our society than working on a job site. I found myself on the other end of harassment. Women who would slap me on the butt. Or say really poor tasteless sexual jokes intended for me. I have had an occasional run in with gay men as well. I don't care about other peoples sexual orientation putting it bluntly I have sex, and as a free person I am allowed to have sex. Too many times employers who are in positions of supervisory roles allow or even participate in this behavior of harassment. Why they would take the chance of loosing their careers I am not sure. For me if you want to have sex with some one, tell them. Maybe they will agree. But to harass a person is to try to intimidate them. And for me the buck stops here. I see this as nothing more than violence. And if the law isn't on your side you can notify the corporation. You see one thing I have learned is employers who have millions too loose will cut out the risky real fast. If you feel like you can't go over their head just write a letter about their behavior and sooner or later the letters will get someone in trouble. Not you, if you stay anonymous. Usually these idiot co-workers and supervisors will cut their own throats by their own behavior because they just can't stop. What is great today is there are so many ways to catch people acting up and boom, when you get your evidence what a great day has passed. You will never feel as good as when they are no longer employed because they just couldn't shut up. I must admit when my former boss lost her job after she publicly harassed me I was secretly happy. Perhaps this woman was let go for other reasons but sending in the information I believe revealed enough to the company with all her other issues they needed to part ways. So don't be afraid of your bully. Eventually they will loose. And if the harassment is bad enough turn to the law. There are many ways to help the turd head figure out they are wrong.In the mean time support groups or even counseling may help you to walk through this nasty ordeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment